Broodies For Rent!

marymac

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Well my egg production has really slowed down with the shorter days and cooler days, but now I have 4 hens that want to hatch eggs!! Why do they start going broody this time of year? I wanted to hatch during the summer and I had a few go broody on me. I successfully had a hen hatch 2 out of 12 eggs with 1 survivor, and then had a silky sit on some with no success. I decided not to try hatch any more this year due to rising cost of food while going into winter. Last winter I had to buy eggs for a while cause they all stopped laying. I'm done for now, any one want to rent a broody? lol

Quote:
lol send em down to virgina i'll take em! i've got more eggs than my bator will hold, with more on the way... chicken math is killing me!
ep.gif
'bator holds 42 eggs... i ordered 18 dorking 12 EE and 6 marans. somehow with the extras sent (not counting cracked and thrown away) looks like I have 43 eggs PLUS my own bantam eggs I was going to use to fill the spaces. so now i don't have room for my midgetbaby eggs.
barnie.gif

i may just set the bantam eggs in the hatcher and turn manually until i can tell which eggs are developing and not... maybe then i'll have room to move stuff around.
hu.gif

Quote:
lol send em down to virgina i'll take em! i've got more eggs than my bator will hold, with more on the way... chicken math is killing me!
ep.gif
'bator holds 42 eggs... i ordered 18 dorking 12 EE and 6 marans. somehow with the extras sent (not counting cracked and thrown away) looks like I have 43 eggs PLUS my own bantam eggs I was going to use to fill the spaces. so now i don't have room for my midgetbaby eggs.
barnie.gif

i may just set the bantam eggs in the hatcher and turn manually until i can tell which eggs are developing and not... maybe then i'll have room to move stuff around.
hu.gif

Hope they all make it for ya! I'm afraid with the cold coming on to try any more this year. They would probably be ok with mama taking care of them and keeping them warm though. I just wish I didn't have so many broody now.

Back
Top Bottom