Broodies hatching together a bad idea?

Jrose

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2013
4 broodies on eggs in a 100 sq ft pen. I've read a lot that says it's a bad idea to let them hatch in the same area, some hens will kill the 'unknown' chicks. Any experience to the contrary? Should I just cave and set up more pens?

I have 2 broodies raising 3 week old chicks and 2 that have chicks they hatched the day before yesterday. Both pairs sat on their eggs together, and they're doing a good job of mothering their babies.
I think it really just depends on the temperament of your hens. I have some who will look after other hens babies, even if they aren't broody themselves. Others get their feathers ruffled if another hens chick gets to close to their own. My more easy going hens seem to enjoy having a broody buddy :)

I had 2 groups hatch at the same time. I had a single broody hatch 6 and 4 (!!!!!!!) hens hatch 11. They are silkies so they are pretty docile. The babies know who their momma is and the hens know which babies are theirs. Of the 4 hens...2 don't mind the other chicks but the other 2 will chase off babies that are not their own. My single hen will chase off the babies that aren't her own. I have 3 broody hens I'm hoping to give the results of the 35 eggs in the incubator. They are sharing 6 eggs of their own right now. We built a huge nesting box for them in case all the eggs hatch. (Heaven help me)

I had 2 groups hatch at the same time. I had a single broody hatch 6 and 4 (!!!!!!!) hens hatch 11. They are silkies so they are pretty docile. The babies know who their momma is and the hens know which babies are theirs. Of the 4 hens...2 don't mind the other chicks but the other 2 will chase off babies that are not their own. My single hen will chase off the babies that aren't her own. I have 3 broody hens I'm hoping to give the results of the 35 eggs in the incubator. They are sharing 6 eggs of their own right now. We built a huge nesting box for them in case all the eggs hatch. (Heaven help me)

Haha! Well... I've got 95 set... so... heaven help me too!
lau.gif

I have 2 broodies raising 3 week old chicks and 2 that have chicks they hatched the day before yesterday. Both pairs sat on their eggs together, and they're doing a good job of mothering their babies.
I think it really just depends on the temperament of your hens. I have some who will look after other hens babies, even if they aren't broody themselves. Others get their feathers ruffled if another hens chick gets to close to their own. My more easy going hens seem to enjoy having a broody buddy
smile.png

Perhaps it's best that I separate them and gauge their temperaments once the chicks have hatched. 3-day-old chicks get through 1" chicken wire, so I have no way of containing them. Mama and babes free-range while the flock stays penned for the first week or two. I've had no aggression between the flock and the chicks thus far. Mamas can bring their chicks to the flock for introduction. The 4 mamas will have an acre to roam and feed the babes so plenty of room to stay out of one another's way (2 dozen each for the turkeys, half dozen each for the chooks, I've decided- we're still playing musical eggs. The turkeys are fierce fierce mamas and can handle great swarms of chicks). I will need to be vigilant and scout for any rogue babes that get separated and are cold. I lost one from the last hatch, it was so sad :( It hid under a bench and I found it the next day, not sure how it got separated, but it didn't find its way back! I was away from home that night, of course. Gr!

Anywho, my mind is decided. Broodies will be penned alone and can have a baby meet and greet once the chicks are out and thriving :) Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom