Broodiness in Buff Orpingtons

davidchickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
BYC,
I know this point has been discussed, but I'd like to bring it up again. The broodiness rate of Buff Orpingtons. Their listed as a broody breed yet it always seems a little weak. My question is this, in a LARGE flock of Buff Orpingtons (25-50) is Broodiness very likely. Info on broodiness in 1-2 years vs later years would all be helpful. Note I WANT them to go broody. I can't seem to find another clean legged DP breed with the trait, and even these seem weak. My question is, in a large, hatchery (ideal poultry or mcmurray) flock of Buff Orpingtons, can I be sure of at least a few broodies each year. Thanks for answers!

I've never had a BO, but have you tried Australorps? My McMurray hatchery Aussies go broody fairly frequently. I had a mama raise 19 chicks last March (4 she hatched herself, and it was COLD, and 15 I added from the hatchery), she did an amazing job! I'm hoping she will do the same this year.

I started with a buff in my original flock of 8 and now I have added 3 more. They ARE broody! At least one, possibly 2 times (once per year per chicken) they have gotten downright mean!
I left them alone at first and then when they finally left the coop after about a 2 to three weeks, I just threw the egg away.
But now I use a broom and physically toss the hen out of the coop every day! - Broodiness? Ain't nobody got time for that!
They go through it much fast now, and it only seems to last 1 week or less.
I know they want to be mommies, so while I'm tossing them out I tell them how ungrateful offspring can be and how when they get to the teen/pullet stage they get mouthy and want piercings

Back
Top Bottom