Brooding Buff Duck Killed, Please Help

LCaldwell66

Hatching
10 Years
May 15, 2009
sad.png
Over the past couple of weeks I've lost 5 ducks to a coyote. I'm now keeping all my ducks penned up until the coyote can be trapped and destroyed. (He’s showing rabid behavior). I could not pen up one of my Buff ducks as she had been brooding in a nesting box on my pond. She rarely left the box and never went far when she did. Apparently the coyote got her either early yesterday morning or some time during the night before. I was so upset! I'm not positive of the exact time she started sitting, but it has been almost 3 weeks since I first noticed her on her nest, so I think the eggs are in a very late stage. With help from a neighbor, I removed the eggs and have brought them inside in a homemade incubator I quickly put together. The temp and humidity seems to be where it needs to be. There were 10 eggs total. I candled them all yesterday and there are 4 that have very little light showing through, only a small section where I assume the air sack is. The others all seemed to be at different stages of development. I honestly don't know what this means. This morning I noticed an odor coming from the eggs. One egg is showing some odd seepage spots and one has a long crack in it. Are these the bad eggs? I've never done this before and would sincerely appreciate any help, advice or suggestions.

I would say that one is bad and I would remove it from the bator so it doesn't contaminate the others and the bator. If your not sure don't toss but check it over really good and if it does smell its nasty. My thoughts! The others I would leave unless they start to smell or seep to.

OK... I've removed the seeping egg. What about the one with a long crack? and the fact that they seem to be in different stages of development. Is that normal? I'm a real novice here.
hmm.png

I just got my ducks last year as 3 day old hatchlings... raised 11 with no problem until the coyote came along. Although I've read everything I can find about it, I honestly don't know what I'm doing when it come to incubating them. All advice is welcomed!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom