Brooding Chickens

alleys chickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
So I have had my chickens for a year and they have been laying 9 to 10 eggs a day. I have 11 chickens but I went out of town and had someone else watch them and when I came back they were brooding. So now I only get 1 to 2 eggs a day and that's a big problem because I sell eggs. Is there any thing I can do to promote them to lay and How long do they usually brood for ????

Welcome to BYC!

What breed do you have? It can be quite the process to convince a broody hen otherwise. And it can take weeks. It also depends on what the temps are like by you. You can try taking them out of the nests and diligently grabbing eggs. If that doesn't work you can get a wire cage and put them in with food and water, no bedding. Do that a few days and let the air circulate around them. I have never tried it personally, but have seen people recommend it. If it's warm enough you can do a cool water dunk. I don't suggest cold water just cool to the touch. I did it twice with one hen in summer. I only set her in for 30 seconds then dried her good and let her go. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks so much! I have three blonde pullets and two red pullets and two Americana's and three Cornish rocks the one that is brooding is one of the blonde pullets thank God it's not my Americana's :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom