Brooding Chicks in my garage

Rejoice

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Hi everyone-
I haven't posted in a while. (since we inherited 3 grown hens in August!) Things are going so well with our 3 girls that we are going to get 8 Buff Orpington chicks in a few weeks. We are in Maryland and the weather here is usually beginning to warm up- nights may dip into the 30's by mid March when I get them. I am wondering if I can use a large Rubbermaid tub with a heat lamp in my garage for brooding? How many weeks will they need to be in the brooder? I will have two coops (side by side but fenced seperately with my older hens) by the time they are ready to go outside but just wondering how long that would be. Does it go by outside temps at night or by age of hen?
Thanks
Jodi-Marie in Maryland

As long as there is a consistent source of heat and isn't too drafty, they will be fine. I have an insulated outdoor brooder. They have a heat lamp and deep bedding and they all stay very warm and toasty. I had to chip off about a half inch of ice off the top hatch this morning, but they were all running around happily underneath. :)

Back
Top Bottom