1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooding chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tenmore, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Will it be ok to brood them outside in a 3x4 brooder coop i built to seperate chickens with adding a heat light of course. I live here in utah so yes it is still pretty cold at night. But I dont want the mess they made last year in the Garage....Any Ideas would be great!

2. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    I just moved my 2 week old chicks out to the coop with a heat source and they are doing great. As long as you don't have drafts and there is plenty of bedding for them to snuggle into they should be fine. I have 8 chicks and they are snuggling together in pairs throughout the coop not right under the heat lamp so I can tell they are comfortable. They already have feathers on their wings and a few on their backs so I think this will just make them feather out even quicker. Good luck!

3. bestpractice

bestpractice Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    I'm in IL and it is still cold. I moved the chicks I got Feb. 6th out to the chicken house last night and they are doing fine. It's 95 degrees directly under the light and they did move directly under the light when I first moved them, but now they are all over the place. Even in the basement, inside of a very warm brooder all of them liked to sleep together, all snuggled in a circle. When they are up and moving they are all over the place. They don't stay under the light. I will NOT put day old chicks in my basement ever again! They stink! They are cute, but they stink! If they can survive the US Post Office they can survive a cozy heated brooding area in a chicken house. I've done everything possible to make it predator proof, so now I'm going to put it to the test :)

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chicks have survived an awful wind storm (temps were about 13°) and Sunday we got 5" of snow! They've been in their outside hutch since they were a week old, they're about 3 weeks old now and have all of their feathers except on their heads. I'll never brood chicks inside my house again.....

1 person likes this.
  5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I'm ready for my kids to head outside - because of my roommate situation I have to brood in my bedroom, but I have to wait until they're ~4wks before I can move them outside. T-2 weeks, LOL

I've never had a problem with the stink. I think it has a lot to do with food - some feeds make more stinky poops than others - and keeping the whole setup dry.

6. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    OK thanks everyone outside it is.....the smell never was an issue it was the dust that's was all over everything big mess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by