Brooding hen in the brambles

Csirke-8

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this, I have numerous geese ducks and chickens on my small place.

Recently one of my New Hampshire Red hens disappeared, gone for a week.. I thought something got her. she then shows up eats and disappears again. I figured she was roosting in the ferns or brambles around the property.. sure enough I finally
found her on a nest.. My question is.. do I leave her till she possibly hatches some out or gather them up and put them in an incubator. anyone have any experience with this. If I check on how many eggs or candle them ... will she come back to them ? any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Istvan

If you have predators in the area it would be better if you moved her to safe place with nest and chicks. If she abandons the nest, pop the eggs in an incubator. It would be best in a quiet area and fenced or partitioned off so other birds won't come and bother her.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 what drumstick diva said, if she is in an area where predators can get to her, you probably want to consider moving her. The easiest thing is probably to put the eggs in an incubator if you aren't set up for a broody.
If you take some of the eggs while she is sitting in the nest outside, she may leave the nest but should come back to it (leave some of the eggs when you check), with loose outside birds don't like to do it at night since if they spook and take off they may not find their way back in the dark.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Drumstick diva has given you some very good advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Chickens and eggs are tasty. Predators agree with us on that point and are always hungry and looking for an easy meal. Brambles will not stop a determined predator.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice already!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with your broody and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom