Brooding hen...starving Help!

Today is day 25 and my broody chicken hasn't gotten up so I'm going to take her eggs away today. none of them hatched (10 eggs) she's also pretty skinny I've only seen her get up 3 times in over 25 days.. Not sure y they didn't hatch, they are fertilie btw.

This makes a lot of sense, I took her off the nest today, and she ran around some and took a dust bath. Still not wanting to take time to eat, but a small piece of apple placed right in front of her when she was back on the nest she nibbled on. I appreciate all the advise I can get.

My head tells me that the hen knows what she's doing. I've never heard of anyone on BYC talking about finding their hen dead sitting on eggs. BUT - as a first time broody-hen-owner with a first time broody - I was worried as she'd not been off the nest in three days. I was more worried about her drinking than anything else. She's a big girl and missing a few meals won't hurt her.

At day #3, we picked her up off the nest and placed her next to food and water. She wasn't happy about being moved, for sure. It took her a while to come out of her "broody trance" as she initially just sat there. Then she began to drink and drink and drink. After drinking for quite a while, she finally stood up. She then noticed the food and began to act like a chicken again - scratching, pecking, eating. She ate all she could find and then let out a long loud chorus of song! She did the turkey-fluff, she preened herself, and then she emitted the most horrid poop of all time. We were 10 feet away from the coop and the smell about knocked us over!

After 35 minutes of this eating, drinking, preening routine, she went up the ramp and so very gently situated herself back over her eggs. I feel better that she's had something to drink as it's been a bit warm. In three more days, we'll move her off the nest again if she hasn't done it herself.

I toss my broodies off their nests once, normally twice a day. They eat, drink, poo, and then quickly return to the nests. I don't like soiled nests, so it forced them to do their business elsewhere.

Ok I need help! I have only one chicken a hen. She is on her second brood in 4 months!!! There is not one egg in her nest??? Both times!!! I take her out to eat and drink and dust, and then she's right back in her nest, ALL DAY DAY AFTER DAY!!! I've tried everything even closed her nest up, so she could not go back in. Except for night time, she did get out of her nest for only 2 weeks and started laying again. Now we're on the third week of brooding, no eggs??? Can anyone help me??? I read to stop making her brood is to put her in a cage so she cannot sit! I will not do that to get it sounds inhumane! HELP what can I do, she is a very sweet chicken and now is getting a little attitude??? Any help I can get would be wonderful! Thank you for reading this!

Ok I need help! I have only one chicken a hen. She is on her second brood in 4 months!!! There is not one egg in her nest??? Both times!!! I take her out to eat and drink and dust, and then she's right back in her nest, ALL DAY DAY AFTER DAY!!! I've tried everything even closed her nest up, so she could not go back in. Except for night time, she did get out of her nest for only 2 weeks and started laying again. Now we're on the third week of brooding, no eggs??? Can anyone help me??? I read to stop making her brood is to put her in a cage so she cannot sit! I will not do that to get it sounds inhumane! HELP what can I do, she is a very sweet chicken and now is getting a little attitude??? Any help I can get would be wonderful! Thank you for reading this!

Eggs or no eggs, when a hen wants to brood, she will tenaciously sit on nothing. Almost all broodies get sassy.

The cage method is more to remove the desire to nest by removing anything she can nest on. You can use a large, wire bottom cage, so she has plenty of room. Give her food, and water, and keep her there for a few days. If she goes back to brooding, then she goes back to the cage for a few more days.

If you don't want to do that, then let her keep sitting until she gives up. It could be a few days, it could be months from now. Keep tossing her off the nest so she can eat and drink.

Thank you Stacy! Someone finally answered me, and that was you! I will give it a try! Thank you again for responding!!!

Back
Top Bottom