Brooding hen

Mass

Chirping
May 2, 2018
I have a hen brooding . She's been on the eggs for two weeks and as far as I can tell doesn't eat or drink. I have been successful in getting her to eat a few raspberries and blackberries dipped in water but I'm concerned for her well being. Should I continue to force feed her or leave her alone ? She has access to water and feed but doesn't seem to eat or drink. Please advise as the weather is turning hot.

My hens often don’t seem to eat or drink either. I’m pretty sure they usually do so around dawn, when I’m not around.

Some hens appreciate it if I shove water and food under their beaks once a day to make sure they get something. Others will refuse it and will only eat and drink on their own terms. So I’m guessing your hen is fine and you don’t need to worry. :)

Broody hens generally get off the nest once a day. Most get off early in the morning. They eat, drink, poop, and some take a dust bath before quickly returning to their eggs. You are probably missing when it happens. You can pick her up and toss her outside if you want. It won't hurt her, but if she's already gotten off that day she will just return. Towards the hatch date hens will remain on the nest around the clock until about 48 hours after the first hatched. Some stay on longer if food and water are close.

My hens often don’t seem to eat or drink either. I’m pretty sure they usually do so around dawn, when I’m not around.

Some hens appreciate it if I shove water and food under their beaks once a day to make sure they get something. Others will refuse it and will only eat and drink on their own terms. So I’m guessing your hen is fine and you don’t need to worry. :)
Thanks for the reassurance.She's a good hen and I'm quite fond of her and would want to lose her from my neglect.

Yes, my broody only left x1 a day. She has her eggs hatching right now therefore, I have her water n food close and I'll give her cooked egg later today.
It's a good day!

Attachments

• 20220605_104542.jpg
    20220605_104542.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom