Brooding Hens and a rooster

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
next year, I was hoping to get a couple fancy hens and a rooster, so that my daughter can see the eggs hatch and see them with their mom. Once the hen has layed a clutch of eggs and they hatch, do I need to seperate the rooster to a seperate run?

If you just have 1 hen and 1 roo then they should be fine. But in general you need to seperate the hen and the eggs from the rest of the group so she can tend to her babies without fighting with everyone. I have seen my other hens be more aggressive to little ones, and my roosters just leave them alone.

I had the same experience. When momma and chick joined the rest of the flock, the rooster was fine with it, but the other hens went after the chick. Of course, momma hen defended her baby but it led to some interesting moments in the coop! The rooster I had at the time just stood and watched it all. The 2 buff rock roosters I have now will break up a henfight.

thanks for your help, it's good to know.
I don't want to put any lives in jeopardy. and my daughter would be appalled, want all my bases covered before I get going.

Back
Top Bottom