Brooding layers and meat birds together

menageriemama

Songster
11 Years
Feb 2, 2008
Superior, WI
I am the proud new mama to 13 cornish x meat birds and 13 layer pullets. All arrived in good shape, and I have raised layer chicks before without any problems. They are all happy and snug in their brooder right now, but this is the first time that I have brooded layers and meat birds together. I would love any tips or advice that any of you could offer about the ins and outs of having these two types together.

(I am feeding them all layer starter and when I clean the brooder each day, I separate the meat birds and give them a good serving of scrambled egg for extra protein. They all get an electrolyte supplement in the water as well. I am especially concerned about nutrition... Advice please? I do not want to brood them separately.)

Thanks everybody, and this site is a joy, even for us more computer-challenged people:D

you can brood them togather for about a week.an because the meat birds grow so fast youll need to seperate them.so they wont crowd eachother out.an keep the layers away from the feed.

I tried brooding mine together, but the cornish put off soooo much poo. I seperated because I figured the girls didn't deserve that LOL

Back
Top Bottom