Brooding Outside From Day 1

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hey everyone. Thought I would share my method for warm weather brooding. Not saying everyone should do this but it is an option that has worked for me!!

So far I have done 3 batches of chicks(2 layers, 1 meat) and 1 batch of keets this way. I repurposed an old rabbit hutch that has 3, 2x3 cages in it. This way I have been able to raise different species separately, at the same time. It is raised off the ground and has wire floors.
20200519_173103.jpg

In this picture only the middle is housing animals. I use the left one to keep my power strip that my brooder plates plug into. It is protected from the elements in there. Inside I provide a layer of pine chips, brooder plate, food, water, and usually a stick or two to perch on. Here is the middle section in use with my last batch of 14 heritage layers. They are 3 days old in this pic. You can see the brooder plate in the back.
20200730_104624.jpg

And with my first batch of 4 incubated eggs.
20200519_173112.jpg

I usually put paper towel over the wood shavings for the first few days until they learn what food is. Chicks out here seem to feather out a bit quicker and benefit from sunshine and a natural light cycle. They are also right near my chicken run so they can hear and see the adult chickens from a very early age.
Here are some 3 day old keets in the right compartment of the hutch, checking out their new surroundings.
20200730_104137.jpg

I was initially really nervous with these tiny guys outside, having read all the temperature requirements. Lots of people on here keep their birds inside on heat for 8 weeks or more, and while that is fine, that just wasn't an option for me. So I put my faith in my setup and my birds and so far I have only lost two chicks, both cornish cross. The other 24 from that batch thrived. Here is a pic of the cornish x in the middle chamber.
20200702_093315.jpg

And one more of the hutch
20200702_093245.jpg

The lowest night temps I have had using this system is about 60*F. My cornish x were off heat at 3 weeks old and on pasture! My last layers were off heat at 5 weeks, I believe they feather out quicker and adjust to temps quicker living their childhood outside. Just wanted to let people know this way is possible. Chicks are a bit hardier than we give them credit for!

Any questions on the hutch build or anything else, please ask. Anyone else do something similiar? How do you brood?

Mine are in a very similar set up in a converted rabbit hutch. Except I've got a broodie instead of a heat plate 😁. No worries about them getting cold, it is so hot here atm that I'm running the sprinkler nearby to keep them cool during the day.

I love having chicks and watching them grow. I do not love the stink, noise and dust from them inside my house!
20200806_203709.jpg

That hutch has been the best revelation of my season. It's a perfect compromise! Plus i have a mini compost pile going on underneath that ends up in the wifes garden, so the littles start earning their keep right away!
So the outdoor hutches facilitate your chicken math! Genius 😆

I prefer brooding outside too. I have a brooder that’s basically a big wooden box with a chicken wire lid. My last batch of chicks was the first time we actually tried brooding outside. My brooder is inside the coop and it’s been warm enough outside that they’ve been out in the chick pen since 1 week old during the day without heat. They’ve been off heat completely since 4 weeks. It’s been so much easier than when we had them in the barn, and they’ve integrated with the flock much faster. They’re 6 weeks now and we’re working on transitioning them to sleeping outside of the brooder, but they’ve already learned to go back inside at night and hang out with the flock during the day.

I prefer brooding outside too. I have a brooder that’s basically a big wooden box with a chicken wire lid. My last batch of chicks was the first time we actually tried brooding outside. My brooder is inside the coop and it’s been warm enough outside that they’ve been out in the chick pen since 1 week old during the day without heat. They’ve been off heat completely since 4 weeks. It’s been so much easier than when we had them in the barn, and they’ve integrated with the flock much faster. They’re 6 weeks now and we’re working on transitioning them to sleeping outside of the brooder, but they’ve already learned to go back inside at night and hang out with the flock during the day.
My new coop will have a built in brooder. Should make integration a breeze!

That hutch has been the best revelation of my season. It's a perfect compromise! Plus i have a mini compost pile going on underneath that ends up in the wifes garden, so the littles start earning their keep right away!

Gotta use all available methods of persuasion, right? 😉

I feel like a total idiot. After posting this last night I woke up this morning to a massacre in my guinea keet brooder. Apparently 1\2 inch HWC is not small enough to keep out weasel hands. It's so small! :barnie There were two dead in the brooder with heads and limbs missing. Another was missing one leg and wing and was stuck in the HWC alive. I obviously put it out of its misery. It has been a whirlwind of emotion. The weasels must have stood on a plastic tote I have underneath storing wood chips. Then did their dirty work. I feel so guilty. BEWARE OF WEASELS. I got too comfy and they rocked my worlkd. I added plastic tiles to the bottom of the broode r and removed the tote. Hopefully that can keep them out. They killed my only lied meet and 2\3 lavender. :( Hard hard lesson.

Oh no! I’m so sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you can make it so that doesn’t happen in the future. Smaller hardware cloth, and maybe fence in or some other sort of barrier around the area the brooder is in? I feel safer having them in an enclosed area.
I just brought home a new batch of chicks, they’re inside tonight but are going out tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom