Brooding Pekin

Look forward to this!! :pop
IMG_20191003_124547962_HDR.jpg

Momma looks like we cut her head off but that was the best I could do. I am not sure she is done. She is still spreading out over the nest and rolling her eggs. We are going to wait until Sunday then try to swap pens and candle the rest of the eggs just to be sure.

Went out for an afternoon baby duck fix and my little Missy Miss had hatched another one. One found a spot in the fence while we were getting food, water and dishes in and out and the little thing was sliding down some straw. Baby couldn't get any footing to get back in. I reached down and put my hand under her or him knowing I was probably about to get pooped on. They made it back in but not before letting out a distress peep. I would rather get pooped on than have angry momma rip my face off. Everything worked out well, she counted all her babies and settled back in.

I am starting to get worried about Missy Miss. This is day her 38th day sitting. Everything I have read said 28 to 30 days. She had the first ones in her 35th day of sitting. Then she had this one today but she isn't showing any signs of getting off her nest. She is puffed out and she keeps pulling in more straw and she is still rolling the remaining eggs. We take her food and water. Before the babies were born she would come out and take a dip in the pond but she is not about to leave those babies. She will not budge from the nest. Will she leave the nest on her own? We can't get her to leave the nest so we can candle the eggs.

Evidently you had eggs being laid at different times so she has a staggered hatch. Give her a few more days. Then make her get off you can place her an duckling somewhere so she can’t get back to the nest long enough to candle an clean out the nest an remaining eggs if the rest are no good. She’ll be upset but she’ll get over it.

220C4982-DB4C-44C8-9C09-036298BF5FCF.jpeg
When she is done then put in new bedding and leave her to it once hatch is done she’ll be ready to come off. Oh and put food an water close by ducklings will begin to eat after 24-36 hrs just make sure what ever you use for a watered they can’t climb into. I use these

Back
Top Bottom