Brooding Time

Little finally started weaning her chicks a couple days ago, poor things, they're only 14 weeks old!
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

What is going on that makes you think weaning is in process? I have a very late season brood that has been weaned for some time yet hen associates with her young. She started separating her self recently to join a harem and her offspring are not following.

She stopped clucking to them when I throw out food and I saw her beating up one of her sons (she's a tiny bantam and he's LF, so you can imagine! ).

Clucking for 14 weeks is longtime. Current hen I have still clucks at just over 8 weeks and she still runs off Cooper's Hawk that would otherwise get her juvenile offspring. The attacking the offspring I associate with a hen that is getting ready to go broody on another clutch.

Be ready for a surprise. Older hens get broody easier. My American Dominiques usually do not become broody for first time until summer of second year laying. Thereafter they can become broody earlier in the year with older hens prone to being chronically broody.

Be ready for a surprise. Older hens get broody easier. My American Dominiques usually do not become broody for first time until summer of second year laying. Thereafter they can become broody earlier in the year with older hens prone to being chronically broody.

Interesting! Thanks! Little generally lauds 6 eggs in the spring and then goes broody. Either I let her hatch chicks or break her broody spell. Then she either raises chicks, or lays 6 eggs and goes broody again!

Back
Top Bottom