Brooding turkey

MamaLynn23

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
I have a Spanish Black, or SB mix, not sure, who has been broody off and on since we got her several months ago. The only problem is I never saw our tom mate her and don't know for sure if the tom she was with before mated her either. About a week ago I noticed that she was staying out at night but didn't know where she was. I found her behind our barn in a corner of a covered area where we stack boards and project wood. She was sitting on a clutch of 15 eggs! I decided to let her sit. But since I didn't figure her eggs were fertile I switch them out with some from our other turkey hen that I know was mated. I left 5 of hers and gave her 6 turkey and 5 duck eggs. I have since done more research and decided I need to take the duck eggs back out. My dilemma is this: I save the shells from all our eggs to use in projects. This morning I began to carefully crack the ones I took from her. I dumped the contents of the first one into my kitchen sink and was astonished to see a big clump of blood in the yolk as it went down the drain! I quickly candled the rest and saw that most of them were developing. Can I put them back under her or is it too late for the growth to continue properly? It has been 5 days, and I have kept them in a carton at the back of my stove towards one of the burners I never use. Please be kind. I am new to raising turkeys. We really just got them because my husband likes having them, they are fun to watch. It was always a possibility that we would start incubating and selling chicks but we hadn't made any plans towards that yet.

As you now know, just because you don't see the actual mating does not mean it didn't happen.

After incubation had already been started and then not being kept at incubation temperature (100°F) for the past 5 days, the eggs are most likely dead.

Learn to candle so that in the future you don't have to guess whether or not development has started.

As you now know, just because you don't see the actual mating does not mean it didn't happen.

After incubation had already been started and then not being kept at incubation temperature (100°F) for the past 5 days, the eggs are most likely dead.

Learn to candle so that in the future you don't have to guess whether or not development has started.
I am trying to learn. It didn't even occur to me to candle them when I first took them out of the nest and I am so upset! I feel terrible.

Back
Top Bottom