1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooding with a pullet that has not yet laid

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gmtarsw, Sep 20, 2013.

1. gmtarsw

gmtarsw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    I was wondering, i have a 2 Silkie pullets that have not yet lain any eggs, and my neighbour just received an order of chicks, and they gave me a few of the chicks which i am currently brooding, inside in a little brooder, but i was wondering if by any chance i could get the Silkie pullets to to brood the chicks? Anybody have any input/success/ horrible failure stories from trying to do this?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

It probably won't work, chickens need to be broody to hatch eggs and raise chicks. They might attack the furry intruders too so raising them yourself would be the best option.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  3. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I would have to agree that it would be best if the hen you wanted to brood your chicks was broody.

4. Kirkpwomack

Kirkpwomack New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    I just tried this with our broody hen and it didn't work out. Our hen attacked the baby chicks...

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some broody hens do attack the baby chicks which is why people recommend sneaking them under them at night, though sometimes an inexperienced broody will attack and kill the chicks even if she hatched them herself.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by