Brooding

rostic

Hatching
Nov 4, 2016
My chicken keeps laying eggs sitting on them for a week or 2 them gets off and changes nest and then sits there for a couple of days.this is her 2nd time for trying to hatch 1st time was no problems as there was also another in the box beside her.any info on why she may be moving would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. This is just an opinion, but if you can collect eggs regularly, then the temptation to migrate to other nests will be nipped in the bud. When i wish to set eggs under a broody, I remove eggs every day (and store them appropriately) and only return the eggs to the broody when i see that she has spent two full days and nights on the nest.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

Is she setting on fertile eggs? If not, she is just doing her broody thing. They can stay broody for some time until their hormones change. There are ways to break them of being broody, however I have found it is best for the bird if you let nature take it's course.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. This is just an opinion, but if you can collect eggs regularly, then the temptation to migrate to other nests will be nipped in the bud. When i wish to set eggs under a broody, I remove eggs every day (and store them appropriately) and only return the eggs to the broody when i see that she has spent two full days and nights on the nest. 

Best wishes
CT
thanks for info.yes we do collect eggs regularly.but you may be on the right track with this.she does sit on others eggs we check for eggs morning.midday and afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom