Broody Advice...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CritterHill, Apr 28, 2009.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Ok, I stuck some eggs under my broody hen on a whim 2+ weeks ago. Since she is Polish, I really didn't think she would set more than a day or two, but here we are! A few days from hatch day and she is still determined.

So of course, I am completely unprepared....

Her nest box is a foot or two above the ground. I'm afraid the chicks will fall out when they hatch. I have two options I was thinking of:

1) Increase the lip on the nest box so they can't fall out right when they hatch, then move the nest to a box on the coop floor after they hatch

2) Move her and the eggs to a box on the floor now.

I am afraid if I move her now, she will abandon the eggs... But I am thinking if I wait until there are peepers, she will more likely stay with them if they are calling her from the box on the floor.

Opinions?

Also, the coop is due for a cleaning, think if I shovel it out, I would freak her out too much and cause her to abandon the eggs? I really want to get fresh bedding down before the eggs hatch.

Last question! How many days after hatch day should I leave the eggs in with her? The weather has been so weird and she has been so flakey, I'd be amazed if anything hatches, but you never know!

Thanks!

2. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by