Broody again-convince me to or talk me out of doing something stupid

Should Sweets be given a chance to be a mother?

• She’ll be a fine mother-go for it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Poll time. Closes in 5 days so get your votes in. Brutal honesty is appreciated.
My Bielefelder, Sweets, is broody again, just since yesterday. :barnieI have fertile eggs I can give her but I’m on the fence about it and need to hear the sage advice from BYC—again.

Here’s the background on this hen you need to know:
13 months old. #2 hen out of 9.
Was broody in April, would not break at all. I let her sit then gave 4 chicks (3-4 day old TSC) in the night around day 18. She pecked toes, then was fine. On day 5 with chicks she killed every one. I suspect bird of prey was in a tree above coop. Eventually I broke her broodiness.

Comments appreciated. TIA 😊

Hello!

Yikes, that’s sad!

I think you should I give her some eggs and have a brooder set up in case she doesn’t want the chicks or treats them badly.

I’m assuming that April was the first time you let her have chicks? If so, she may have just not known exactly what to do and viewed them as intruders rather than harmless little babies. Sometimes hens may do better with raising chicks when they try a second time. Hopefully this is the case and she ends up making an excellent mother if you decide to let her hatch and raise some! Best of luck! :)

Hello!

Yikes, that’s sad!

I think you should I give her some eggs and have a brooder set up in case she doesn’t want the chicks or treats them badly.

I’m assuming that April was the first time you let her have chicks? If so, she may have just not known exactly what to do and viewed them as intruders rather than harmless little babies. Sometimes hens may do better with raising chicks when they try a second time. Hopefully this is the case and she ends up making an excellent mother if you decide to let her hatch and raise some! Best of luck! :)
Yes, it was her first time being broody and it was intense. She’s not as aggressive sitting in the nest this time around.
I’m surprised she went broody so fast.

Thx for the poll responses. I agree with the majority to give Sweets another shot. She is looking like a deflated beach ball sitting on 8 eggs. I gave her a water bottle in the nest bc its so darn hot bShe is looking good so far

Back
Top Bottom