Broody...again!!!! Countdown to the week of May 3rd!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bec, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have an unexpected broody blue hen! I did not know she was sitting until the night before last which was Sunday night. She had 5 eggs under her Sunday night, 3 of which had babies growing! Very visible veins and I could even see the baby in there! Very cool! The other 2 appeared clear.

Yesterday, DH went out to feed since I was feeling under the weather, he said she was still sitting. Tonight I went out and took a look and there were way more than 5 eggs under her..probably more like 8! I candled again. The 3 from the other day were still going great, the other 2 that I thought were clear, had little blobs in them, but no veining yet. So I am thinking they are developing too! Then on top of that, now there are 2 or 3 extras she or they apparently added today or yesterday.

My question is, all these eggs are going to be 2 and 3 days apart for hatching, is this ok with a broody hen??? Should I take away the first group to hatch so she will continue to sit?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    She should continue to sit for a couple of days to give all the eggs a chance to hatch, but I would fence her in to stop anymore eggs from appearing, after a couple days she will have to choose between sitting and teaching the babies. [​IMG]

3. Bec

Ok, will do. I had no idea she was sitting! I hadn't been out, I have been sick so DH has been on chicken duty and doesn't know the difference!

So someone is doing "drive by" egg laying in her nest??

4. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    The other hens are probably getting in the nest with her and laying.

I moved my broody into my feed room in a secure great dane size dog crate with all the comforts of home. I moved her at night and had no problems moving her, but I did it before I had her on fertile eggs. It can be dicey moving her now. If you upset her and she abandons the eggs.....

Today I had a major traffic jam in my nest boxes. 4 hens in 3 nest boxes and 2 waiting for a free box on the landing pole. I wish I had my camera. Who says there is no rush hour in Maine....[​IMG]

5. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yeah more baby Blue Hens!!

6. Bec

I am hoping for a splash like your baby!! I can't wait now!

7. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Well, might depend on the type of chicken, but back in March my 3rd Silver Pheonix that was setting, she hatched 5 and left the nest leaving one egg unattended and it was piping..

I had to set up a heat lamp and help the little chick out over a period of hours which worked out ok for the little chick..

So I'd say just watch very closely when they hatch,, and if she leaves the other egg or two... then finish incubating them..

8. Bec

I just candled and so far I have 3 that are REALLY active, 2 that are smaller (laid after the first 3) and then I have 3 possibles...someone snuck them in late too before I knew this was happening!

The good news is, that I will have an incubator hopefully this coming week, so any of those that are not close in hatch dates, I can finish inside if needed! I am hoping that they can stay out with Momma, but we will have to see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by