Broody again?

Nonnapoo

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
My silkie just raised 4 adopted chicks (2 months old) and now she is broody again. She is nesting with a broody black sex link who lays on top of her. They are inseparable ! Does the bigger hen think the silkie is her baby?

The bigger hen could be thinking that. Unless you want to hatch with them (separately), I'd put them in separate broody jails if possible, or put them in one jail, one at a time.

I think they both happen to be broody and want to use the same box. Some folks let broodies share a group of chicks, but it can also go south if the hens decide they're no longer going to tolerate each other or the other's chicks.

The bigger hen could be thinking that. Unless you want to hatch with them (separately), I'd put them in separate broody jails if possible, or put them in one jail, one at a time.
Thanks. They don't even have any eggs under them! I have been locking them out of the coop everyday so they will eat and drink.

I think they both happen to be broody and want to use the same box. Some folks let broodies share a group of chicks, but it can also go south if the hens decide they're no longer going to tolerate each other or the other's chicks.
No danger of tolerating each others chicks. They are sitting on empty nest!

Back
Top Bottom