Broody already or just practicing?

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
My first hen, Idgie, just started laying a little over a week ago. I have several others that I think are getting really close. One other hen was checking out a nesting box and Idgie jumped in the nesting box with her and started growling very lightly. There's no egg in there, she used that box for her very first egg but hasn't been over there for any of the other eggs. She seems interested in looking for them, but she isn't sitting on a nest. Is she getting ready to go broody? Is it possible for her to be broody after only a week of laying? Will her growling at them prevent my other hens from laying in the nesting box if they are going to try to lay their first eggs?

That sounds a little more like she is just trying to guard her nest for laying, I have seen that before. They should just leave her alone, unless she is trying to attack them, but if you notice the other hens getting reluctant to use the boxes there are things you can do.

I did have one hen that went broody right after starting to lay. I think it was about 4 weeks, though. When they start sleeping in the nesting box, that is how I know that they are broody and sticking with it. I have also seen hens be broody for a day or so, just hormonal fluctuations, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom