1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody and "lockdown" question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Retrieverluvr, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Retrieverluvr

Retrieverluvr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    I am a first timer with using a broody. Wynonna is doing an excellent job taking care of her 4 Eggs! Even in this bitter cold winter in Wisconsin!!!

[​IMG]

I had an issue with other hens stealing her eggs and not sitting on them so I had to separate Wynonna and her eggs into her own private Rubbermaid Tote. She is still in the coop though. I take her out "potty" twice a day, she is not able to exit on her own. She dust bathes and stretches her legs and socializes and then I place her back in her tote and she is content.

I have food and water in with her and she has not made any poops in her nest....

SO my question is.... today is day 18 and I am wondering if its still OK to take her off her nest? How about after the chicks are hatched?

I have been bringing down a gallon ziplock bag of hot water to place over her eggs while she has her reprieve. Temps have warmed up to the 30's. The coop itself is totally insulated.

Also......

Once the babies hatch how many days should I wait to let her introduce her and them to the rest of the flock. I was planning on keeping her with the flock.

Thanks much! I am learning a lot and enjoying my chickens!!!

2. rooster buyer

rooster buyer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    I think just keep doing what your doin and i would let her spend a few hours with the chicks to dry and then i would put them were they are going to be raised up in.

3. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    my most recent broody was up and out on Day 20 and Day 21 a few hours before hatch. I was worried like you...hadn't she checked the Calendar?? [​IMG] She hatched both eggs under her so I guess lockdown is less a chicken thing than an incubator thing. Let us know how it goes. FWIW I had another broody who has hatched two clutches and she did "pancake" and lockdown the last 48-36 hours.

Best of luck with the hatch!

ETA: Regarding your second question: Generally hens will sit on the chicks for most of the first 1-3 days depending on how adventurous they are, how hot it is outside etc. I imagine your weather being as cold as it is that the chicks will want to stay close. BUT there are sometimes adventurous little ones who are out and about from day 1 and then she will get up and follow. make sure she can get out of her current nest. She will know when it is time to share her brood with the rest of the chickens and she will protect them fiercely so you don't need to make that decision for her. Just make sure she can follow any thrill seekers and keep them safe.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by