Broody at 24 weeks???

ChickenLove123

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
I have a leghorn/orpington cross who started laying at 19 weeks (so she's been laying regularly for about five weeks now). For the past two days, she's not left the nest much. Before yesterday, I had never seen her in the nest, although that's where she leaves her eggs. Now she is in there every time I look. She has come out for treats, but she goes right back to the nesting box.

Her tail feathers look a little shaggy, maybe from rubbing on the wall of the nesting box.

Yesterday she didn't lay an egg, but she did today. She usually lays for 12 (or so) days in a row, then takes one day off. Yesterday could've been her one day off.

What do you think?

Bumping for the Daytime BYC Peeps.
caf.gif

Thanks...

I might've broken the spell. It took a LOT of treats to coax her out of the box (applesauce-no thank you, chard-no thank you, finally scratch-why, yes, I will, thank you very much). Once she was out of the box, I swooped in and took the inspiration eggs that were still in there (rookie move, I know). She got outside and scratched around a little, then she went back into the nesting box to settle back in! But a few minutes later, she was back out, and not long after that she took a dust bath.

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom