Broody ate eggs then went broody on another clutch

LadyAchee

Crowing
May 10, 2020
Liberty Hill, TX
Repeat broody was on a clutch of eggs and was doing awesome. I have let her brood before successfully. I believe 2 other hens decided they didn't like her occupying the nesting box so they started to break her eggs. I noticed missing eggs and saw the 2 hens on either side of her. I moved her to a crate on the coop floor and with a week left to incubate she ate the remaining eggs. I let her out of the crate and she became broody again after a few days. She is now in the original nesting spot. Anybody had the same scenario happen? Will she eat these eggs too? Should I give her feed store chicks?

How's it going?

Not sure if she'll eat the eggs she's on or not, time will tell.

Feed store chicks would be an option, but I'd make sure she was sitting broody for a good 18 days or so before I attempted to introduce chicks to her. Be prepared to brood them yourself if she doesn't accept them. Even a good proven broody may reject chicks sometimes.

How's it going?

Not sure if she'll eat the eggs she's on or not, time will tell.

Feed store chicks would be an option, but I'd make sure she was sitting broody for a good 18 days or so before I attempted to introduce chicks to her. Be prepared to brood them yourself if she doesn't accept them. Even a good proven broody may reject chicks sometimes.
I keep removing her fromthe nesting box. Today she got a dip in some cool water and now she's out roaming around. I decided against the feed store option since I really don't need any more chickens right now. Although they had black naked necks that were begging to come home. She couldn't peacefully sit so I think if I do let anyone go broody again I need to build a small broody coop with a small run.

I keep removing her fromthe nesting box. Today she got a dip in some cool water and now she's out roaming around. I decided against the feed store option since I really don't need any more chickens right now. Although they had black naked necks that were begging to come home. She couldn't peacefully sit so I think if I do let anyone go broody again I need to build a small broody coop with a small run.
Good idea about making a place for her.
If she couldn't peacefully sit, it would have been very stressful on her to raise some chicks.

Good idea about making a place for her.
If she couldn't peacefully sit, it would have been very stressful on her to raise some chicks.
I went on a short vacation and my 9 year old and her BFF put the eggs under her so I just left them. Definitely didn't want to brood more but you know chicken math🤣🤩 Thank you for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom