Broody behavior question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KingSpeck, Jun 1, 2010.

1. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    My EE broody Opal just did a great job of hatching out some eggs. She has her own box and yard for them next to our existing flock. While she was sitting on her eggs she was great - I could check the eggs, move her if I needed to, clean around her, etc... No problems. Now the chicks are almost two weeks old and all of a sudden she's turned into a seriously overprotective mother. I understand she's just following her instinct but I can't even get in to give them clean water without her attacking me. I'm actually okay with all this - she's just being a good momma, but my question is, when will she go back to being a 'normal' chicken? How long does it take till she thinks the chicks are okay on their own?

2. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Good Question..My two broody's just hatched their eggs a couple days ago, their my first broody's so cant help with the answer, but interested to see what others say.

3. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Really? Nobody has any wise words for me? I just want to know when I can go into the broody coop without armour on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by