Broody Black Australorps

Cindychlvr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
I have two Black Australorps who went broody about 2 weeks ago. I put them in a wire cage broody breaker. They don't seem broody anymore but I've also been waiting for them to start laying again before I return them to their sisters. They have been in the broody breaker for about 2 weeks now. Once they are no longer broody should I return them to their flock? Anyone out there have an idea how long a broody takes before she starts to lay again? I seem to have some pretty persistent girls. Any input would be great!!!

FYI I live in Northern California. The weather is beautiful this time of year with plenty of sunshine.

It can take them anywhere from 2-6 weeks to start laying again. Some of my hens will start laying while they're still raising chicks, some don't start again for a couple of weeks after they're done with them.
I'd go on and let them out of the cage and let them get back into their normal routine and sort out their pecking order business. Good luck, I've got one broody sitting on eggs and another in the broody buster, ugh!

It can take them anywhere from 2-6 weeks to start laying again. Some of my hens will start laying while they're still raising chicks, some don't start again for a couple of weeks after they're done with them.
I'd go on and let them out of the cage and let them get back into their normal routine and sort out their pecking order business. Good luck, I've got one broody sitting on eggs and another in the broody buster, ugh!
Thank you so much! I did let them out today. Ironically, there was an egg in the broody buster! YAY!

Back
Top Bottom