Broody Brahma. New to broody...

Missymac

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
NY
My Buff Brahma has chosen a box and sat herself upon a pile of eggs, I got her as a broody hen but this is the first she has sat on eggs. None of the eggs are from her. They have been in the coop for a couple of days, will the eggs still hatch? I noticed the pile was building up slowly There are 7 eggs I think... Is there anything special I need to do for her? How long am I going to be waiting for eggs? SHe has been sitting on them for the last 6 hours straight.

Here are the eggs, they should be some interesting mixes:

Silver laced Polish(hen) x RIR/Silkie mix(Roo) X 2
Appen Spitz(hen) X RIR/Silkie mix (Roo) X 1
Black EE(hen) x RIR/Silkie (Roo) X 2
Cinn. Queen x RIR/silkie x 1
Pure white EE mix (hen) x Blue breasted pheonix Roo X1

They should be an interesting mix:)

yes, the eggs can be there for several days. when Mom sites consistently, night and day, they will start to develop. And yes, they can be ANYONES eggs. give her a turtle egg and she'll mother it. they are GREAT and indescriminate Moms.

20-21 days from the first day she sits they will hatch.
If she does not leave the nest once a day, you should pull her out and let her poop/drink/eat. she should return in 10-20 minutes.

I put a plastic fence around my nesting hen and her eggs, with some leg room. this will keep the other hens from laying more on her pile, and will protect them from over curious hens.

There is SO much to read on this site. It has ALL be asked AND answered many, many times. Do a little research and you will find what you need, and lots of varying opinions.

AND HAVE FUN watching the process! keep us posted!

yes, the eggs can be there for several days. when Mom sites consistently, night and day, they will start to develop. And yes, they can be ANYONES eggs. give her a turtle egg and she'll mother it. they are GREAT and indescriminate Moms.

20-21 days from the first day she sits they will hatch.
If she does not leave the nest once a day, you should pull her out and let her poop/drink/eat. she should return in 10-20 minutes.

I put a plastic fence around my nesting hen and her eggs, with some leg room. this will keep the other hens from laying more on her pile, and will protect them from over curious hens.

There is SO much to read on this site. It has ALL be asked AND answered many, many times. Do a little research and you will find what you need, and lots of varying opinions.

AND HAVE FUN watching the process! keep us posted!

Miss counted, there are 8 eggs. I am not sure who the 8th egg came from. I have marked all the eggs so if more appear I will know. Getting her to get some food and drink was not cool. Not cool at all. I have never been pecked so hard. lol. She is very comfortably sitting back upon her claimed eggs.
My only other question is my big Rooster, he has taken up residence below the nesting box and pecks at everyone who comes near. He chases them away then goes back and just stands there as tall as he possibly can. Is that common for chickens? I have never seen a post of a rooster who acts like this? I was provided the " Double Stink eye" several times, and decided to stop staring at her.

Back
Top Bottom