Broody breaking? I need a jedi master...

LovinMyPeeps

Sees Wine Dots
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Heuvelton, NY
Ok well due to temp, lack of space, and my general obsession with my chickens, I have a broody in a box in my spare bedroom. I placed her into it a day and 1/2 ago tried her in the coop tonight and she went right back to the nest box. I have her in a box with nothing to "nest" in. How long whould I wait to try her again? Light or no light? If light... how much and for how long? Help me obi hen kenobi... you're my only hope!

Do you have something that has a wire screen for the floor? I think the deal is that you have to cool down their nether regions and underside.
idunno.gif

I have heard of people putting ice cubes in the nest and heard of others dunking them in water (which seems sort of excessive and potentially dangerous this time of year).

I really don't know. I only have silkies go broody and I've never actually managed to break their broody. I just give them eggs and let them go for it.
big_smile.png

I would love to let her go for it, but unfortunately up here in Northern NY on the St Lawrence.... January 21st is not a really ideal time to be hatching. So I need to break her. I hate the idea of cooling her down
sad.png
barnie.gif

When mine go broody I give them a bit of scratch in the nest and place more couple feet away where she can see it. Repeat in a couple of hours. Has worked every time.

Best way to break a broody is to separate for about 3-4 days and add a baby aspirin or Tylenol. Some times 2 days of separation works. I would add a rooster if possible. Even game hens break at 4 days(optional rooter added for shorter time).
Of course provide plenty of water and feed. Corn tends to induce broodiness (carbs increase body temp).

Last edited:
I have a lot of broody hens. The best way I have found to break them is put them in a cage with no bedding materials at all. Just food and water. It normally takes between 3 days and a week to break them of their broodiness. I put them in the cage, and don't let them out until they are done being broody. That means that when I walk by, they don't puck-puck-puck at me anymore. And sometimes they will trick you, you let them out, and they run right back to the nest. So back to the cage they go!

Thankfully, I don't have a big problem with broodiness in winter, because my broody jails are wire bottomed cages that stand on legs and live outside.

Since it is winter, and you are in the north, I would suggest some sort of a dog crate. Do you have anything like that? You could put it in the coop or in the house, since that seems to be an option for you. My husband would never go for it!
tongue.png

The more light that can get in, the better, in my opinion. Hens like a darkened hidey hole for the brooding process, so a lot of light seems like a good idea if you want to break the broodiness.

Right now she's standing in the kitchen penned off screaming at me and the cats. My DH knows better then to get between me and my chickens. I'd put him in the barn
smack.gif
and bring the chickens in here. Yah I have a small dog crate im using. Hoping that is going to work. I'll keep her in here on her layer rations for a few days.

I gave in and just gave her the eggs I wanted hatched and sold them on craigs. I just don't want her to "not" be broody, cuz when I want to hatch, like now, I want her to know it's ok to go broody. Just be prepare w/ a set up, cuz ya never know when they'll go broody.

Back
Top Bottom