Broody breaking question

I've never messed with the lighting. I also keep the breaker in the coop or run (I don't find that a specific location matters, just somewhere safe and in sight of the other birds), so that there's no issue with reintegrating the broody with the flock once she's done. Just open the door and let her rejoin the others.
Thanks. I’ve wondered about that…will they forget her so quickly? 48 hours? I can move her down there tomorrow ( in her broody breaker jail) but I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable leaving her out there at night without the protection of the locked up coop…sigh…it’s always something, isn’t it…

Hi, I’ve always made a “jail” by fencing off a part of my run where she can’t get to the coop and just before bedtime I let her back with the others to sleep and do the same each day until she’s no longer broody. 5 days was the longest it took me to break her.
Good luck with your girl ☺️

Hi, I’ve always made a “jail” by fencing off a part of my run where she can’t get to the coop and just before bedtime I let her back with the others to sleep and do the same each day until she’s no longer broody. 5 days was the longest it took me to break her.
Good luck with your girl ☺️
Thanks. I thought about that too but decided the kennel jail might be a bit more uncomfortable and therefore break her more quickly. I am going to move her back to the run today (in her jail) to ensure there are no re-integration issues. I am not sure how comfortable I am with leaving her there all night…nothing has ever gotten into the run but wouldn’t want to stake her life on it…so I’ll either haul her, jail and all, back up to the house or let her sleep in the coop…hum…

but I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable leaving her out there at night without the protection of the locked up coop…
If you don't feel that she's be safe in the run, put her back in the coop on the roost once it's dark. She'll likely be in the nest box again the next morning (at which point pick her up and put her back in the breaker until evening) but better to take a little longer to break and err on the side of safety.

Back
Top Bottom