Broody but doesn't like the eggs

Horsefly

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Virginia
I have a SLW hen that went broody about a week and a half ago. I only have 2 hens right now (because of preditors) and no rooster. Because the eggs weren't fertile I took them from her and she just sat on her golf ball for week. Sunday I got some fertile EE eggs and gave 9 of them to her. She seemed happy with them and moved them all under her and was good. I am only home on the weekends (b/c of college) and my parents care for the chickens while I am gone. Yesterday my mom told me that the chicken switched nest and all the eggs got cold. She said the hen was sitting on an egg from the other chicken in another box. She moved all the eggs back under her in the other nest and threw one out because it had cracked.
So my question is why is she switching nest now that she has eggs? And do you think the eggs are still good, she was probably off the nest half the day?
My theory is it wasn't as comfortable sitting on all those eggs as it was just sitting on an empty nest so she decided to move. Did I give her to many eggs? I am going to candle them on Friday when I get home and toss the ones that aren't developing so she doesn't have to sit on as many. Any tips on getting her to sit for the duration?

It's anybodys guess why they sometimes switch nests. My remedy for a lot of what happens to broodies, is to put them in a small pen, away from other birds. Give her privacy and no choice as to the nest she occupies. The other hen can't lay in her nest and she won't be disturbed except for feeding. If you move her, do it in the dark so she can't see what's going on til morning. Good luck........Pop

Its just her and one other hen so she shouldn't be getting bothered to much. I am in the process of building a broody pen now and should finish it this weekend. I might try moving her into that when it is completed.

Back
Top Bottom