Broody but...just laid egg on roost bar at 9PM

Hi all! I recently posted on here about my broody BO who I have had in chicken jail for about 4 hours. I then decided to place her on the roost in the coop with the others for the night (all nesting boxes blocked off and it was dark so she stayed on the roost) and out of nowhere I heard a PLOP. She laid an egg from up on the roost bar. It looked normal and healthy. I did not know that hens laid while broody. Is this a normal occurrence? Can she be broody and lay eggs at the same time? Also the fact that it was dark and night time was odd too since I have never seen any of my hens lay an egg after dark. Anyone know what to make of this? Thank you!

When hens get broody sometimes they still have eggs ‘leftover’. Often you can get eggs from a broody hen for the first 2-4 days.

Sometimes her cycle is late, so she doesn’t lay until she gets on the roost, she’ll then normally go quickly lay her egg and get back up on the roost. Since she couldn’t lay in the nesting box she decided to lay on the roost.

When hens get broody sometimes they still have eggs ‘leftover’. Often you can get eggs from a broody hen for the first 2-4 days.

Sometimes her cycle is late, so she doesn’t lay until she gets on the roost, she’ll then normally go quickly lay her egg and get back up on the roost. Since she couldn’t lay in the nesting box she decided to lay on the roost.
Relieved to hear this is normal! My last broody hen only stayed broody for a day and was not as intense as this one. I think I may be having to keep up the chicken jail routine for a few days....

Thanks for the information!

Wondering if she was truly broody.
It can be hard to tell if you've not seen it before.

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Back
Top Bottom