Broody button quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Barnyard, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    What are the chances of that? Now I know that alote of people say that it rarely ever happens, but I am pretty sure I have a hen going broody. What are some of the signs? I know what chickens act like when they go broody. Do quail act the same?

2. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    I do know it's possible...but it is rare...it mainly depends if the quails parents went broody and hatched your quail...but if it is indeed happening...DO NOT TAKE THE EGGS OFF HER! this will create a new generation of buttons that sit on their own eggs!

Please let nature run it's course if she's going broody!

3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Oh do not worry. I wouldn't dream of taken her eggs....[​IMG] They are just to darn cute.. I will post a pic of her sitting on her 5 little eggs. I just hope she continues to sit. I sure would hate for her to get half way through the incubation and stop sitting. Guess I need to get the bator out and have it ready in case she does.....[​IMG]

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    There's a nice lady i met on youtube and she has button quails and she never incubates her eggs she always has a hen that goes broody for her.. i will look up one of her videos and post it here for you [​IMG]

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    here are 2 videos of her button quails

the first video is of a Hen making her nest:

And this video is of a Broody Hen with her eggs..and her Mate

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thanks Birdboy!! My hen has made her a little nest in the corner out of pine shaving's. Her mate's are right there with her to. I guess this is bitter sweet because I lost 2 hens a couple of weeks ago.

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Welcome [​IMG]

and sorry about the 2 hens you lost.. i'm so jealous though..lol i want one of my hens to go broody for me... i think i have to build something better for them?

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Your hen should keep brooding her eggs as long as nothing startles her [​IMG] A lady i talk to that lets/and gets her hens to brood had a ton of them go off their eggs after a very loud thunderstorm [​IMG].

9. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    im jelouse !! My hens just walk around pop -a -squat ,pop out an egg and dont even look at it !!!

i would love to see a momma hen and her chicks !!

10. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Birdboy, I just have my quail in a 55 gallon aquarium, with pain shaving's, fake plant and a box to hide in (that they do not use). They seem to be doing ok in there. Of course they are in the house.

monarc.....that is what I am worried about. My best friend has button's and one of her hens went broody. On day 13 or 14 she decided she didn't want to set anymore. She was sitting on 20 eggs. I brought them home and put them in my bator and only 4 hatched. I hope mine will do better.

poultrykeeper...... That is all my hens normally do. I have left her eggs in there for the last 4 day's though, so I guess she decided if I wasn't going to take them she would sit on them , lol. Maybe you could try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by