Broody California White?

BeardedLadyFarm

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Cobleskill NY
Has anyone had a broody California White?

Mine isn't broody yet, but she moves eggs into her box, and sits there for hours on her eggs and others. I feel like it's just around the corner.

Since they're primarily Leghorn, I really wasn't expecting it out of her. In fact she was the last of the 12 I thought would go broody.

I really didn't want her in the first place (my housemate made me get her) but she's really calm and sweet and curious. It kills me that so many of her sisters are trapped in tiny battery cages. Such a big egg from such a small girl!

If she officially becomes broody, I'll get her some fertile eggs. Just curious if I'm reading her signs right.

I have an Australorp that seems to spend a lot of time in the nest, yet she has not gone broody. I think some of them just like the nests. She may eventually go broody but I don't see the behavior you describe as a strong sign. I wish you luck but I would not order any hatching eggs yet.

Our California Whites have never gone broody.
Tell us what happens
wink.png

Matthew

This is a very old thread, but I'd just like to say that yes, california whites go broody. I have one that hatched out ducklings yesterday and is being a good mom and my mother has SEVERAL. I think they came from hoover's hatchery. Very sweet, gentle, docile broodies. I have yet to get bit by any of them and the non-broody girls come up for waddle petting. And they lay daily so far with no exceptions.

This is a very old thread, but I'd just like to say that yes, california whites go broody. I have one that hatched out ducklings yesterday and is being a good mom and my mother has SEVERAL. I think they came from hoover's hatchery. Very sweet, gentle, docile broodies. I have yet to get bit by any of them and the non-broody girls come up for waddle petting. And they lay daily so far with no exceptions.
I have one that is showing signs of going broody. She sets in the nest all day and night; only coming out to eat and drink. She also gets really mad (fluffs up and growls) if you move her or take the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom