Broody chicken & broody turkey sharing a nest!

mbrown

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
North Florida
I have a chicken and a turkey that have apparently gone broody and are sitting on the same nest! I've never seen this before. Of course, it's not one of the many nest boxes that I've provided for them, they made their own nest and are laying side by side on their clutch of eggs. Has anyone ever heard of this? And will it work since the incubation period is different for turkeys and chickens?

002.jpg

004.jpg

That is so sweet! If all the eggs are mixed in the same nest, I'm not sure how it's going to work out with different incubation periods. As cute as they look, you may want to consider moving them to their own nests with their own eggs so the early hatches don't cause them both to abandon the other eggs.

I decided to leave them alone and let nature do it's thing. About a week ago another turkey joined in, so I've got 2 turkeys and one hen sharing. They seem to be sharing well, when one gets up, the other will take all the eggs, and when it comes back she will let her take her eggs back. Well, I went out there to check on them yesterday and this is what I found:

017.jpg
018.jpg

014.jpg
019.jpg

Only the one so far, but they're still sitting on the nest. I know all the eggs were not laid at the same time; these girls were letting other hens lay with them and lay eggs, so this should be REALLY interesting. So far though, it looks like the chicken has taken the primary "mother" responsibility for the baby, but I watched it climb all over and under the turkeys too, so they all seem happy as one big family!

Last edited:
How did your turkey & chicken brooded chicks turn out? Did they all hatch and if so how many days did it take all together to hatch them all?
I have a broody Red Sex linked hen that is sitting for almost 6 weeks!!! Her 1st 21 day sitting produced none (since she was only sitting on one egg). SHe wouldnt leave, so on day 24 I slid 5 more eggs under her- coming due this weekend. I cant believe how healthy she looks after just sitting all day and night for almost six weeks!

Back
Top Bottom