Broody chicken help

Ditto on the broody breaker cage/pen.

My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a few bricks right in the coop and I would feed her some watered down crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.

Thank you all for your help. She has stopped being broody. However, she has also stopped laying, either that or she has started hiding her eggs again.

Just wanted to chime in with my support for the broody buster cage. I don't like it, but I don't like my hens being perpetually broody either! Here is one of my girls in Busterville....

Sometimes I put in a little roosting bar for them as well. And a tomato if they look bored
big_smile.png
My girls looooove tomatoes!

My girls generally take about 6 days in the BB cage, but it is super hot here (over 100F every day) and I think that really has an impact. The whole purpose is to cool their broody butts off, which is hard in this climate!

-Krista

Help, NEW PROBLEM
She now will not come out of the coop, when I checked on her this morning her. Butt. Was all crusted. I cleaned her as best as I could with warm water, blow dried her, but now she is limping. In addition when I checked on her she had one eye closed. She will open it and it doesn't look red and it is not weeping. I gave her food and she ate some yogurt and meal worms,I am also dosing with the save a chick water. Is there anything else I need to do?

Back
Top Bottom