Broody chicken taking Broody Pekin Ducks eggs

DucknChicken

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2015
Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

I have a very broody pekin duck (Betsy) and a very broody chicken (Bombay). I have no rooster therefore my chickens eggs aren't fertile. The duck has been sitting on about 12 fertile eggs for a couple of weeks and now the chicken has set up a nest right next to Betsy. The chicken has now taken all of Betsy's eggs into her nest and Betsy is still sitting on 'nothing'. What should I do??? I was going to get some fertile eggs for Bombay to sit on - do you think that would be the best solution so Betsy can sit on her own eggs again?

Thanks in advance.
Deb

Hi, it may be problematic to have two birds raising chicks at the same time if you do not have the appropriate set up to accommodate the two groups separately - this is my thought for chickens at least - maybe other members may have more to add in light of chicken and ducks.

All the best in whatever you decide

Ct

thanks for the feedback CTKen, definitely food for thought. THey all usually live in the same house so I'm thinking I might create two large nesting boxes in the house and move their nests over so they are separated….will that be ok do you think?

You are welcome. Your plan seems fine but perhaps more crucially is what provisions you put in place once the chicks grow and need more space. I have no experience with ducks but for the chickens I would think they will need to be separated for 4 to 6 weeks before they are less likely to be attacked by the other mother.

To be honest it's not a route I would go down. One mother with chicks is less hassle and likely to be more successful.

Good luck on whatever route you choose

Ct

Back
Top Bottom