Broody chicken that doesn't lay

Aussiechickener

Chirping
Mar 3, 2020
So I recently bought some new chickens. I was told they were around the POL so at least six months and one of them is laying and has been for the last week or so. Another isn't laying yet but she's just started to sit on an egg (that I'm assuming isn't hers) before I could get to it. I've been told previously that first time layers don't go broody. Is she older than I think, and if so why would she not be laying herself?? I know one of the other chickens I received is older because she's moulting, but now I'm not sure if these two are older than I thought.

If it helps the layer is a Sussex and the broody one that hasn't layed is a wyandotte mix.

My chickens went broody before they were a year old. Is she plucking feathers from her chest? She may be broody or she may just be stressed from the move still. They do stop laying while broody. At least mine did..

My chickens went broody before they were a year old. Is she plucking feathers from her chest? She may be broody or she may just be stressed from the move still. They do stop laying while broody. At least mine did..

She's only just started sitting on it today. They've been moved in for a couple weeks now and they're older than my other girls so they've adjusted pretty well so I don't think its stress. She hasn't laid the entire time we've had her but she has been hopping up into the nest box every now and then, but doesn't sit down.

If she's been doing that 3 or more days she probably is broody. If she is pulling her chest feathers it is positive. Otherwise she could be sick..

Back
Top Bottom