broody chicken

jjs hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
hey i have a broody chicken was one of my best layers, now its broody.

Is there a way i can snap her out off it, as i take the eggs every day and there is no cockerel for her to have any chicks.

Any help we be lovely as she is stopping my other hens from laying propley. one layed out side the house on the floor which caused a crack in the egg.

You could buy some eggs for her fi you want chicks but if not you can snap her out of it. You could put her in a wire cage with one side of the cage sloped upwars for 2 or 3 days and this should snap her out of it.

i dont have the house room for more chicks or i would love too, i dunno about the wire cage cause we have had a couple of nights of frost wouldnt want her getting too cold. if she dont snap of of it when we are frost free i will try it, thank you for you advice,

Also got this for you:
How to discourage broodiness
To prevent hens becoming broody it's always good practice to remove eggs frequently, at least once a day to prevent the hen from wanting to sit and nest. If you find you have a broody hen the first thing to do is to encourage them out of their nesting site (I often just pick them up and send them out the coop door).
There are many different methods to stop your hens being broody and some I find rather cruel. The one method is where you collect your hen and put her in a wire cage, hang it off the ground and deprive them of food for a day or 2! I personally wouldn't attempt such drastic measures and have found other successful ways of encouraging them out of their broodiness.
Broody hens prefer a dark, warm and draught free nest so if you can remove at least one of these elements you should be able to get your hen out of its broody phase. I had a hen who decided to nest on the floor of the coop so I built a false floor to allow the cool air to circulate underneath her. After a day of attempting to sit and not being comfortable she gave up and snapped out of her broodiness.
Some can be quite stubborn which I have also experienced in the past. I could not get this one particular hen out of being broody and after 3 weeks of sitting she still showed no signs of snapping out of it. She was getting a bit out of condition due to lack of sunlight and a regular pattern of eating, drinking and generally being more active. I decided that each day after the hens had laid their eggs, I'd fill the nest boxes with plant pots and a football to prevent her from being able to sit. After a week of doing this she finally came out of her broodiness.

that is great thank you im going to try leavin the house undone for a few days so its not soo comfy in there for her.

that is great thank you im going to try leavin the house undone for a few days so its not soo comfy in there for her.
It's fine. Good Luck! I don't know I suggested the cage option because I don't really like it. I have never used it because I let mine hatch out but my friend did and she realised the hen hadn't drank/ate for 2 days because it couldn't actually walk.

Back
Top Bottom