Broody chicken....?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EKC Farms in the desert, Nov 12, 2013.

1. EKC Farms in the desert

EKC Farms in the desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    New River, AZ
    I have a 7 month old hen. She started laying last month. Don't know much about her. Very sure she is a bantam; considering her size compared to the other chickens I have. These last 3 days; I think she is on a broody streak. But where I'm confused...she lays her egg in a box where the other 2 lay their eggs (not sure if she lays 1st; 2nd; or 3rd). After she lays her egg; she goes back to a different box and sits on a golf ball. I open the door and she puffs up; tail goes up; head feathers go up; and she growls.

What should I do? I was keeping the golf balls there so the younger hens see where to lay and also so if they decide to peck its a golf ball and not an egg.

2. joelharris

joelharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Try putting some of the real eggs under her if you have a cockerel and want to hatch chicks

3. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    She definitely sounds broody. She must have some attachment to that golf ball, thinking it's her egg ha! I would take the golf ball away. Keep collecting your eggs so she cannot set on them (unless you're wanting to hatch babies). The younger hens will follow the leader and quite likely learn to lay in the nest boxes on their own :)

4. EKC Farms in the desert

Aug 21, 2011
    New River, AZ
    We did take out the golf balls this afternoon. When we came home this evening she was in the box. Did her growling thing. I pushed her out of the box and put her on a roosting bar. She has never done this until recently. My other ones get in the box; drop their egg and scadaddle.

5. EKC Farms in the desert

Aug 21, 2011
    New River, AZ
    Well this evening my broody hen was out in the run eating and just having a good ole time. Sun goes down and she is in the box on 2 eggs. I put her up on the roosting bar and put eggs in the house. Hoping if I keep moving her to the roosting bar; it will help her to snap out of the broody mode.

6. joelharris

Yes allowing her body to cool down like that when moving her should knock her off being broody

7. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

The fastest way to break it, and restart egg production is to dip her in a cold bucket, head and all. Or so I experience it

8. joelharris

Quote: Isn't that a bit cruel after all we are in winter and its freezing outside well it is in the UK anyway, I have heard that putting the chicken in a wire bottomed cage with food and water for a few days works as the air circulating under her makes her unable to heat up any eggs.

9. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, yes, I believe it can be quite cold there, it is going to be cruel in that weather, so rather stay with the cooling down method as described above, here in SA it is all summer and very hot now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by