Broody chicken

Beldenfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
Help! We have had a broody Cochin who will not be broken of her broodyness no matter what we do. I have separated all out chickens from their run and coop for a full day multiple times (we have a chicken tent for ranging) We have nudged her off her best multiple times for days, but after a few minutes she always hops back on. I have also dunked her in cold water and even left her in cool water for a few minutes then put her back in the run to cool her temp.... Didn't work. What else can we do! We don't have enough space to let her hatch out chicks since we just got new chicks that are about 4 weeks old now (too late for adopting?)

Any advice would be amazing! We don't want to have to put her in a metal cage but it's looking like that's our only option!

Some people just let them sit it out. You can prod them off their nest, a few times a day if you can, and get them eating and exercising each time before letting them back, so there isn't so much threat to their health from eating and exercising so little while broody.
The cage method is supposed to work well. I don't like the idea very well, either -- but really, if they are firmly broody, it shouldn't be that distressing to them as they are almost always in that sort of trance, anyway. If they start objecting and wanting out, hopefully they are also through being broody, or at least on their way.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom