broody chickens and acting strange

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
my chicken, robin, is acting very strange. for the last half of the day she became very broody ( we have no rooster so she is broody over imaginary eggs) she made a nest outside but when i went to put the girls away she was still outside on the nest. i picked her up and put her inside but she’s acting strange as well. should i be worried? keep her inside overnight? or will she be okay locked up for the night

How is she acting strange? Since the eggs aren't fertilized, and assuming you're not giving her some fertilized eggs soon, I'd start breaking her. @aart has a great article on this, but it's not a process I've done myself so that's all I can say about that

my chicken, robin, is acting very strange. for the last half of the day she became very broody ( we have no rooster so she is broody over imaginary eggs) she made a nest outside but when i went to put the girls away she was still outside on the nest. i picked her up and put her inside but she’s acting strange as well. should i be worried? keep her inside overnight? or will she be okay locked up for the night
Fertile eggs, or any eggs at all, is not a requirement for them being broody.
It's all hormonal.

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Back
Top Bottom