Broody Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dixiedoodle09, Mar 15, 2009.

1. dixiedoodle09

dixiedoodle09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    We have about 30 red and black sex link hens, they are 7 months old and been laying for about 2 months. We have about 4 black hens that are broody.... i take them off the nest so they will eat and drink... do they still lay eggs when they are broody???? And will taking them off the nest stop them from being broody???

2. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    No, broodies want to have chickies so while they are broody, they don't lay eggs.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    There is no real need to remove them from the nest. They will get off once per day to eat, drink and defecate. They will do so for only 15-20 minutes so you probably are not seeing them do it.

Removing them will not stop the broody process. You can try to break them up by placing them in a wire bottom cage and elivate it off the floor. Provide food and water but do not give them anything to sit on. It usually takes about a week to completely break them.

4. dixiedoodle09

dixiedoodle09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I am just going to leave them alone.... I take them off and they go right back in. I won't worry as long as they eat and drink. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by