Broody Dolly Parton Hatchalong!

Pics
Good day Willie! Get those braids going

willie nelson GIF by Farm Aid

Doubt it bc the nest is an old dresser and has....lemme show you. Its boxes and off the ground. Idk how she'd move em.

See how each one is a box off the ground? Unless she has arms somehow and then she needs to clean up lol.
She’s either allowing other hens to lay in the same nest, or she’s “egg-napping” from other nests. I didn’t believe they could do that, until I saw it for myself. I once caught one of my girls in the act… she was leaving another nesting box, so I lifted her wings, and there was an egg beneath!

She’s either allowing other hens to lay in the same nest, or she’s “egg-napping” from other nests. I didn’t believe they could do that, until I saw it for myself. I once caught one of my girls in the act… she was leaving another nesting box, so I lifted her wings, and there was an egg beneath!
What?! They tuck em in the wing area? Sneaky sneaky.

What?! They tuck em in the wing area? Sneaky sneaky.
The broody in question is an EE who was extremely insistent on being broody. She was sitting on 3 marked eggs in the broody box, but she kept moving to another one and fussing with those eggs (but not settling down on them). She’d lose interest (I thought) and settle back on her own eggs. In the following 2 days, I was finding more in her nest. I was thinking that another hen was invading the broody box… until I caught her one day sort of waddling back toward hers. I thought something was wrong with her, so I began checking her out, lifted her wings and an egg rolled out! I moved her and her eggs to brood in another building after that! 😂

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom