Broody duck losing eggs !!

Lissacb126

Chirping
Jun 24, 2019
Allenton, Michigan
I noticed my duck was starting a her clutch a couple weeks ago. At this time I believe she had maybe 4 eggs. I candled a couple of them but assumed it was too early. The next day she had kicked one egg out and it was cracked. I removed the egg and found that there was an embryo in it. Her clutch never even came close to 10 eggs. Now she only has 1 egg in her nest. I'm pretty sure I see a blood ring but I can't get to it to check because she's hissing at me when I get close to her. I'm not sure if she's in her incubation stage. Will she go to that stage with 1 egg ? Is she done building her clutch? This is her second clutch. Her first she had 18 eggs, and hatched 16 of them successfully and naturally.

Hens will incubate a single egg. Sometimes laying a clutch doesn't always lead to setting the clutch if conditions aren't right. I would just wait and see. If she's not letting you near her eggs than she is probably broody, or a bout to be.

Is there something that is taking the eggs? Or are you removing them?

awww poor baby girl... how long ago was the first brood? if it was recently I would stop her from going through it again with just one egg.

Hens will incubate a single egg. Sometimes laying a clutch doesn't always lead to setting the clutch if conditions aren't right. I would just wait and see. If she's not letting you near her eggs than she is probably broody, or a bout to be.

Is there something that is taking the eggs? Or are you removing them?
Well I found that last egg broke and the shell in the water bucket. She still hissing and me and walks around screaming. She flattened the one nest a few days ago, built another one close by and then flattened that one. She has now made another one. With the send nest she laid another egg but broke it the next day. Nothing can get to her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom