Broody duck not sitting on eggs

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
HI, I have a duck that we put muscovy eggs under. Her eggs and the muscovy eggs were started at the same time, the muscovy eggs take a week longer to hatch then regular ducks. So right now she has 5 ducklings and the muscovy still need to hatch. She is not sitting on them even though they are fertilized. What do I do?

I would like to do that, but if the mother doesn't hatch them herself then they won't have a mother to take care of them.

HI, I have a duck that we put muscovy eggs under. Her eggs and the muscovy eggs were started at the same time, the muscovy eggs take a week longer to hatch then regular ducks. So right now she has 5 ducklings and the muscovy still need to hatch. She is not sitting on them even though they are fertilized. What do I do?
Malinda Williams Wow GIF by TV One
Of course she’s not gonna sit on them. In her mind, her ducklings have already hatched. She’s not gonna wait around for eggs that will take a whole week longer! In the duck world, it’s first come, first served. She needs to tend to the ducklings that have already hatched, so that is what she’s doing.
She’s not gonna sit on them anymore.
She doesn’t know or care that they’re fertile.
If you want to save the eggs, though they’ve likely already died, get them in an incubator.

Yes
Have you ever brooded baby birds before?
You stick them under a heat lamp and give them food and water. They don’t need a mama.
Yes I have. I would rather have a mother take care of them now because it is winter, a mother would do better than us at taking care of ducklings.

She stopped trying to hatch them yesterday. We thought that she would keep sitting on her nest for longer to keep her ducklings warm and also keeping the eggs warm at the same time.

Next time start the muskovy eggs first. If she has been off all day, and you have winter type temperatures the eggs are not likely to hatch no matter what you do at this point.

Back
Top Bottom