BROODY DUCK NOT SITTING?!

supernatureboy

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
New York
I have 2 ducks currently. A khaki Campbell hen and a pekin drake. For about 1 week the hen was sitting on 10 eggs. suddenly she almost completely stopped sitting on them. It has been a week now and she still has broody behavior ( hissing, charging at me, covering eggs, acting fidgety) but I candled the eggs today and all seem to be dead. Idk what's up with her but I'm disappointed and upset now :( does anyone know why she stopped sitting on them, why she's still acting broody, and if I still have a change of her laying new eggs any sitting? Thank you

I have 2 ducks currently. A khaki Campbell hen and a pekin drake. For about 1 week the hen was sitting on 10 eggs. suddenly she almost completely stopped sitting on them. It has been a week now and she still has broody behavior ( hissing, charging at me, covering eggs, acting fidgety) but I candled the eggs today and all seem to be dead. Idk what's up with her but I'm disappointed and upset now
sad.png
does anyone know why she stopped sitting on them, why she's still acting broody, and if I still have a change of her laying new eggs any sitting? Thank you
No one knows what could be going on in the mind of a broody duck, was she sitting in a safe place or out where a predator could have scared her off the nest? Is the drake insisting on mating even when she was sitting on her eggs? that can cause stress and make her leave the nest. And it could be she just didn't want to sit any more.Some ducks start and get up it's not uncommon especially in breeds that have been bred for egg laying. Some never go broody. So I'd get rid of the eggs if you haven't and let her get on with life. she eventually start laying again and maybe next time she'll stick it out, but if she does go broody again make she she has plenty of privacy and the drake isn't stressing her out wanting to mate.with her. and she has a safe secure place to brood.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom