Broody duck obsessed with eggs not hatchlings

Fureverhomefarm

Hatching
Jan 9, 2023
I have a broody duck (Rouen mix) who sat patiently on her eggs but I happened to be there to see first duckling hatch. Mom wanted to eat the shell and ripped it from the duckling that wasn't done with it yet.
After she ate the egg (which is natural I'm sure) she was mean to the baby. I scooped the baby and remaining eggs up and put them in the incubator.
I now have 2 hatchlings with more on the way. I put them in with mom hoping she would take to them. She didn't. She was obsessing on where her eggs went.
I'm going to let her be for the evening and maybe she will take to the babies tomorrow. If not, I guess I have to raise more ducks.
Any suggestions is appreciated.

I have a broody duck (Rouen mix) who sat patiently on her eggs but I happened to be there to see first duckling hatch. Mom wanted to eat the shell and ripped it from the duckling that wasn't done with it yet.
After she ate the egg (which is natural I'm sure) she was mean to the baby. I scooped the baby and remaining eggs up and put them in the incubator.
I now have 2 hatchlings with more on the way. I put them in with mom hoping she would take to them. She didn't. She was obsessing on where her eggs went.
I'm going to let her be for the evening and maybe she will take to the babies tomorrow. If not, I guess I have to raise more ducks.
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Can you specify how she was mean to the duckling?
Is she still broody even though you took the eggs from her?
if so, try putting the eggs back under the mother ASAP since she is obsessing where her eggs are. Don't interact much with the ducklings so they will take to their mother when you put them with her. If she is still broody and accepts the eggs, I believe she will keep them. :)

Can you specify how she was mean to the duckling?
Is she still broody even though you took the eggs from her?
if so, try putting the eggs back under the mother ASAP since she is obsessing where her eggs are. Don't interact much with the ducklings so they will take to their mother when you put them with her. If she is still broody and accepts the eggs, I believe she will keep them. :)
She was snapping at the duckling and grabbed ducklings foot and was about to lift it off rhe ground. I've seen baby duckling get flung across the coop before and it happens in the blink of an eye. That's why I took the baby out.
As for the eggs I replaced a couple fake eggs I had in there but not the Dud eggs.

I don't blame you for taking the duckling one of my Muscovy actually killed one of her ducklings and was in the process of attacking another when I took him away. Not all ducks make good mamas but will do an awesome job of brooding.
How many have hatched? You might try again by getting her out of the nest give her a treat outside so she can't see you, then take the fake eggs and place the ducklings into the nest then stand back and see her reaction.

Back
Top Bottom