Broody duck question?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
I have two domestic mallard hens laying on a large nest of duck eggs. At one point there were 12-13 eggs but they no longer get off the nest so I haven't been able to count in a few days. I know the eggs span about 4-5 days apart from date of lay, so I'm wondering will they continue to sit if the eggs take a few days to hatch? Or do I need to have my incubator ready if they leave the nest midway through hatching? I've incubated twice, but never had broody ducks before, so trying to be prepared. This also wasn't planned and will likely occur while i'm out of town and spouse is taking care of them. So I'd like to have everything set up just in case to make it easier on him. They have been sitting for about 1.5 weeks now and so far show no signs of moving off their nest lol.

Are they Mallards or Rouens? If you have 2 females laying on one nest, chances are they won't hatch, or very few will hatch. I would say to put the other eggs in an incubator for the best results ( especially if they're a few days apart ) and so if something happens and they're done with the nest, the other's won't pass away from getting cold or not being properly incubated. Ducks can get very sloppy when going broody and nesting. They can leave their nest, add more eggs that they can't take care of, or abandon their babies close to hatching/ during hatching. If they keep laying eggs, you'll have to candle the living one's and mark them with a pencil and take the others off so they won't harm the other potential babies. Or just incubate them till they're done and ready. Make sure they have a safe and secure place to have their babies..Hope that helps a bit!

Are they Mallards or Rouens? If you have 2 females laying on one nest, chances are they won't hatch, or very few will hatch. I would say to put the other eggs in an incubator for the best results ( especially if they're a few days apart ) and so if something happens and they're done with the nest, the other's won't pass away from getting cold or not being properly incubated. Ducks can get very sloppy when going broody and nesting. They can leave their nest, add more eggs that they can't take care of, or abandon their babies close to hatching/ during hatching. If they keep laying eggs, you'll have to candle the living one's and mark them with a pencil and take the others off so they won't harm the other potential babies. Or just incubate them till they're done and ready. Make sure they have a safe and secure place to have their babies..Hope that helps a bit!
They are definitely mallards. I've been keeping a close eye on them and they are doing great so far. But will have the incubator ready in case I need it. And definitely plan to have it ready closer to hatch time. The first few days were a little "messy" with taking and adding eggs etc, but that seems to have settled down and everything so far seems pretty normal... knock on wood.

Back
Top Bottom